Heel fissures is the term for cracking of the skin of the heels. This can be a painful condition that can cause bleeding. Open-backed sandals or shoes that allow more slippage around the heel while walking are often culprits that cause heel fissures. Skin conditions, such as eczema and psoriasis , can also lead to heel fissures. The skin thickens as a result of the friction. Wearing proper shoes and the use of deep skin moisturizers and lotions can reduce the dryness associated with the condition and allow the foot to heal..
Other factors that can be involved in the cause of cracked heels include:
- prolonged standing
- being overweight
- open back on the shoes
- some medical conditions predispose to a drying skin (eg. autonomic neuropathy , hypothyroidism)
- skin conditions (eg psoriasis and eczema)
What can Mount Joy Foot Clinic & Orthotic Centre do for you?
- Perform a physical exam and identify the source of problem and discuss treatment options.
- Perform comprehensive manual debridement of thickened skin.
- Recommend humectants or emollients to properly moisturize your skin.
- Advice about self-care options.
- Apply padding and strapping to help bring cracks together while they heal.
- Assessment of you current footwear and/or orthotics and provide necessary adjustments.
- Recommend footwear changes and prescribe custom-made foot orthotics as needed for long-term control and prevention to help prevent the problem from recurring
Call us to schedule your appointment today at (905) 209-8000. Your can also fill out the contact form below and we will call you back.
Chiropody Services are covered by most extended health insurance plans.
We're open Evenings & Weekends for your convenience!