Diabetic foot care starts at home.
Controlling your blood sugar levels can help protect you from long term diabetic foot complications. Daily foot exams, moisturizing your feet, wearing appropriate footwear, socks and orthotic devices can lower your risk of diabetic foot problems. Maintaining an active lifestyle is also important. If there is ever any uncertainty about your feet, call the Mount Joy Foot Clinic & Orthotic Centre to book a diabetic foot screening.
General Guidelines to caring for the Diabetic foot:
- Wash your feet regularly with lukewarm water and soap. Make sure to properly dry the spaces in between your toes.
- Check your feet daily. Use a mirror or ask for help if it is difficult to see your feet.
- Apply a moisturizing cream daily to keep your skin soft. Avoid creams between your toes.
- Wear socks and change them daily.
- Wear properly fitted footwear.
What Mount Joy Foot Clinic & Orthotic Centre can do for you.
Our Chiropodist conduct a complete diabetic foot screening and set up a routine foot care program specifically for your case. Moderate or High risk diabetic feet are best taken care of with regular routine visits with a Chiropodist to prevent, treat and monitor your feet. Need our help? Call the Mount Joy Foot Clinic & Orthotic Centre today at 905-209-8000.