Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of the plantar fascia due to excessive stress and force applied at the heel bone. The plantar fascia is a band of fibrous tissue that runs along the bottom surface of your foot, attaching at the bottom of the heel bone and extending to the ball of your feet. Poor biomechanics and an abnormal gait are the most common reasons why the plantar fascia becomes inflamed.
What causes Plantar fasciitis?
- Over-pronation (flat feet) which results in the arch collapsing when you stand.
- A foot with an unusually high arch.
- A sudden increase in physical activity.
- Excessive weight on the foot, usually attributed to obesity or pregnancy.
- Improperly fitting footwear.
Over-pronation (flat feet) is the leading cause of plantar fasciitis. Over-pronation occurs in the walking process, when a person’s arch collapses upon weight bearing, causing the plantar fascia to be stretched away from the heel bone.
With Plantar Fasciitis, the bottom of your foot usually hurts near the inside of the foot where the heel and arch meet. The pain is often acute either first thing in the morning or after a long rest, because while resting the plantar fascia contracts back to its original shape. As the day progresses and the plantar fascia continues to be stretched, the pain often subsides.
What can a Chiropodist do for you?
- Perform a physical exam and identify the source of problem and discuss treatment options.
- Apply padding or taping to provide immediate relief.
- Recommend exercise and stretching programs.
- Prescribe and dispense night splints.
- Recommend footwear changes and prescribe custom foot orthotics as needed for long-term control and prevention to help compensate for mechanical faults and stress and allow your feet to function with improved efficiency.
- Provide physical therapy: MedX Phototherapy, FOX Laser
- Perform Shockwave Therapy
Call us today at (905) 209-8000 or fill out the contact form below to schedule your appointment.
Chiropody Services are covered by most extended health insurance plans.
We're open Evenings & Weekends for your convenience!